Meals of the “quick and nourishing snack” format have existed in almost every kitchen in the world for centuries. But it was in America that they switched to a separate restaurant format. Daily fast food eats more than a quarter of the population of the United States. We will tell you how and why this way of eating is so popular, and we will also rankAmerica’s best fast food outlets with the most delicious food.
We have a stereotype that fast food is necessarily hamburgers. And it all really began with them.
Who came up with selling meat with bread
It happened in Kansas in 1921. The first catering chain that made burgers not just an item on the menu, but a feature of the restaurant was White Castle. It was more like a regular square sandwich: warmed and melted cheese and slices of pickled cucumber on a thin patty between a sliced bun, supposedly a substitute for a long dinner.
The Americans reacted to this with great distrust, almost immediately began discussions about the dangers of such nutrition for health and the wallet. But the owners of White Castle made a knight's move. They opened the kitchen of the restaurant, reduced the price to five cents, and so that there was no doubt about the usefulness of the dishes, they hired actors in white coats. For several months they portrayed visitors-doctors who regularly eat burgers. It seems naive today, but the fact is stubborn - the matter immediately went uphill.
Looking at the growing popularity of White Castle and fast, cheap food in general, enterprising Americans began to open food service outlets one by one. And each new restaurant needed its own zest. Somewhere drive-in customer service was introduced - beautiful waitresses brought the food ordered by the customer straight into the car. Somewhere they expanded the menu: they remembered both about Belgian french fries, and about Mexican burritos, and about Italian pizza.
The real revolution in the world of fast food came in the 60s, along with the take-off of McDonald’s restaurants. Their concept interrupted almost everyone. competitors, and even now we say “fast food” and mean exactly McDonald’s. Why? Because they managed to figure out the success factors.
Universal menu. It included various types of burgers, french fries, nuggets, pies, ice cream and other high-calorie meals, which guarantee the production of pleasure hormones. Drinks to this only help - cold cola, coffee, milkshakes ... All that sweet that causes joy, vigor and the desire to eat something else.
Uniform production standards. Because of the automation of processes and the use of semi-finished products, it became much faster and easier to cook - this made it possible to get rid of chefs and hire anyone who would like to work. And more efficiently serve customers and provide a complete certificate of any dish.
Customer service. The restaurant switched to self-service and refused reusable dishes, which was very profitable and convenient. At the customer’s cashier, friendly people in bright uniforms met, always ready to talk.
Cleanliness. In their free time, restaurant staff are required to clean the room. The kitchen is open, each visitor can assess the presence of gloves, hats and hygiene.
Orientation to children and adolescents. For those who are younger - special food sets with collectible toys, clown Ronald and children's parties. For those who are older - free internet, bright room design, affordable prices.
It was McDonald’s who first began selling franchises to open restaurants throughout America and abroad. They didn’t just make a super profit - they became symbols of the whole industry and set the vector for its development.
The most harmful and tasty top: rating of the top 10 American fast food
Not a single McDonald's American fast food alive! Based on the official consumer satisfaction ratings, we will make the top 10 best fast food restaurants in the United States.
10. Taco Bell - one of the oldest networks of Mexican fast food. Although in terms of fat content and ingredients, it is rather American food, stylized as tacos, burritos and other national dishes.
9. Wendy’s - the usual set of dishes from potatoes, hamburgers and other stereotypical things. But what to add to your burger or sandwich, the client decides for himself - it is not necessary to choose the standard options from the menu, you can “collect” and fill the dish as you like.
8. Dunkin' Donuts - classic American donuts with a huge number of toppings and toppings. Fat, high-calorie, sweet, but incredibly tasty.
7. Pizza Hut / Domino’s - these competing companies take almost the same position in the eyes of Americans. Both those and others are engaged in pizza - in 15 minutes it will be cooked for you in a restaurant or brought to your home. The quality of the pizza is almost identical, the rest is a matter of taste.
6. Subway - sandwiches, rolls, salads and sandwiches - this is here. In addition to standard sets, you can build your own version of a sandwich with any possible filling and sauce. Famous as a “respite from burgers”. Today it is the largest fast food chain in the world.
5. Chipotle Mexican Grill is a rapidly gaining popularity restaurant chain specializing in burritos, tacos and salads. Visitors are attracted by their orientation towards using only natural and fresh vegetables and meat. The lack of convenience foods even promoted Chipotle in the ranking of restaurants with healthy fast food.
4. Burger King - oddly enough, he overtakes McDonald’s in the consumer rating. Perhaps the main difference between one institution and another is that in Burger King the taste of dishes is richer, the choice of sauces is wider and there is an opportunity to add something to the burger.
3. Starbucks - a coffee house is no longer just a coffee house. In addition to coffee, you can find a lot of desserts, salads and pastries in every Starbucks. In 2016, the amount eaten there for the first time equaled the amount of alcohol consumed.
2. Panera Bread - yet the promotion of a healthier diet takes its toll. The Panera Bread menu consists mainly of salads, soups and fresh pastries. In addition to better food, service standards have been raised in these restaurants.
1. Chick-fil-a - a few years ago this network of fast food with chicken dishes was among the worst. But after reforming the kitchen and revising the rules for communicating with customers, the network has been receiving the highest score in the consumer confidence rating among all fast food outlets for the second year. Its main competitor, KFC, did not even dream of such assessments.
Eating fast food or not is everyone’s personal choice. But the company American Butler knows for sure that if you really want, then you can. Try it in the natural environment is much easier than you think. Simply contact us for assistance in organizing a tour or even moving to the US, and all the calories eaten will quickly burn in walks to the most interesting places.
If you want to know a little more about US culture, ask us!
We often do not see interesting details in the surrounding reality. Although surprising is even in a bun with sausage. We present the history of the hot dog and everything connected with it: why it is… Read more
Trattoria is an Italian-style establishment, less formal than a restaurant. The menu here is written by hand, the service is open space, and the wine is served in the decanter, not the bottle. Prices… Read more
At the very end of the nineteenth century, when Miami was given the status of a city, only three hundred people lived there. All achievements would have been impossible without active local residents,… Читать еще
After decades of decline, Design District has gained fame as a place for art, design and fashion. There are more than 130 art galleries, exhibition halls, creative services, architectural firms, luxury… Читать еще
The Atchafalaya Basin is the largest river swamp in the country, containing almost a million acres of bottom hardwood, marshes, flood and swampy lakes of America. The pool begins just outside Simmesport… Читать еще
The view of the snow-capped mountains seems a bit surreal when Las Vegas still feels the warmth of the desert sun. At 11,916 feet above sea level, Charleston Peak is covered in snow for more than six… Читать еще
Comic-Con is an exhibition that educates people about pop culture. The bet is on comics and related art forms. Organizers support public presentations and exhibitions on the historical contribution of… Читать еще